Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades. The woman to be admired and praised is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God. Give her everything she deserves! Proverbs 31:30

Follow Me

Request Prayer

Friday, March 12, 2010

Potholes and Our Hearts

As I was driving to work today a thought went through my mind (sometimes this can be scary). If any of you have to drive 65 south through north Gardendale you will have a true appreciation for this—haha.

Ok…on to the story…I was driving my normal route on 65 this morning when I hit the first of MANY poorly patched potholes. I thought to myself someone needs to tell the state that they need to just dig the interstate up and start over. ---I mean do they know how to FIX this?!?! Instead of truly fixing the potholes they are so brilliant that they just pour more asphalt in the hole and fill it up. This gives a nice roller coaster bumpy ride to 65. However, after a few trucks run over the places it just gets uncovered and bigger.

Then I felt as if God were telling me that is what I had been doing for so many years. I had been trying to fill up the “potholes’ of my heart with other things instead of digging up the hard ground around it and letting God himself repair the hole.

All the years that I spent holding on to hurts, grudges, hate, etc etc I tried to “patch” my pothole by just covering it up and thinking it would just go away. But then when a situation that was similar to the one that caused the original pain would come along my pothole would be uncovered and bigger that before.

I feel like we all do this at times but it is time to call the Repairer of our soul and let Him dig up all the junk and fill it with His holy concrete instead of trying to fix it ourselves by patching it with worldly asphalt.

Psalm 147:2 (Message)
God's the one who rebuilds Jerusalem, who regathers Israel's scattered exiles. He heals the heartbroken and bandages their wounds. He counts the stars and assigns each a name. Our Lord is great, with limitless strength; we'll never comprehend what he knows and does. God puts the fallen on their feet again and pushes the wicked into the ditch.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Great story! I love the way you were able to compare it to everyday life! :)

Tiffany said...

Aww I am just glad someone else read it haha! When I was driving this morning and praying and driving over all the potholes...God really spoke to me and I just had to share!


Thank you so much for reading my blog!